Giving back to Your Community
Ever wonder what impact your contributions make in your community?
Every year our Organization provides service to more than 300 LOCAL children and youth through our mentoring programs. Additionally, we partner with other Cause-based, community Organizations that also support the healthy development of Children & Youth. There is no cost for families to participate in any Big Brothers Big Sisters program, nor is there a cost to volunteer. We believe in providing barrier-free opportunities for Children & Youth to strive through mentorship.
The majority of the children are matched one on one with a thoroughly trained volunteer Big Brother, Big Sister, Big Couple or In School Mentor. Many more benefit from group programs such as:
- Go Girls (“Healthy Minds Healthy Bodies”)
- Game On (specifically for young boys)
- Literacy for Littles
- Kids and Kops
These programs help youth reach their full potential and help them avoid many risk-taking behaviors. Children and youth who are matched with a volunteer stay in school longer, get better grades and are less likely to offend. In short, they are happier, more productive and better behaved. Think back to when you were growing up and ask yourself if a mentor in your life helped shape the person you are today? We know mentorship is not a luxury… it’s a necessity!
The local agency awards Bursaries to “Little Brothers & Little Sisters” who go on to attend college, trade schools and university. The average bursary is $1,000 per year for up to 4 years. Bursaries are not based on grades but are awarded to those with financial barriers and who have the determination to succeed.
Through our “Healthy Living Fund”, we distribute thousands of dollars to local children & youth in our programs facing financial barriers to provide them opportunities to thrive through mentorship. These funds assist in the costs to participate in voice, guitar, piano lessons, summer camps, karate, cubs, fitness classes, sports, and more.
We plan and host monthly events and activities for the families involved in BBBS to introduce children & youth to new experiences, and there is never a cost to the family. These activities often extend to the greater community as we sponsor free swims through the summer, movie nights at Victoria Park, and some other annual events.
Some community projects BBBS have supported to maximize our local impact include:
- Promoting learning through literacy by contributing to our local Public Library. Be sure to check our the Big Brother-Big Sister Children’s Program Room, available to every child in the community to enjoy
- Encouraging mentorship through sport and recreation by supporting the Truro Skate Board Park
- Supporting the work and projects of our local Maggie’s Place, Boys and Girls Club, The Christmas Index Program, and the Truro Music Festival
- Partnering with the United Way of Truro to provide children and youth with backpacks and sneakers when returning back to school, and helmets to encourage safe play through the annual Bikes for Kids campaign
- Supporting local children with diverse needs to attend Camp Tidnish
- In partnership with the Rotary Club of Truro, contributing to the Public Music Park at the Civic Square
You have allowed us to do all this to support our local young people. That’s a BIG deal. Thank you!